Tire Size 35×12.5r24 to Metric
At first glance, the string of numbers and letters, like ’35×12.5r24′, might appear indecipherable, but this alphanumeric code is essential, encapsulating all you need to know about your tire’s dimensions.
Let’s dissect this size – 35×12.5r24. It might appear complex, but each part of this size represents a specific measurement.
- The first part, ’35’, indicates the overall diameter of the tire in inches.
- The ‘x’ following the first number separates the tire’s diameter from its width. The ‘12.5’ that comes next signifies the tire’s width, also measured in inches.
- The ‘r’ stands for radial, implying the tire’s construction type, and the last part, ’24’, represents the wheel diameter, also in inches, that the tire is designed to fit.
35×12.5r24 in inches
|Tire Section Width||12.5″|
|Rim Width Range||24″|
Switching between the inch-based tire size and metric systems is a standard process in the tire industry. Let’s convert the 35×12.5r24 tire size into millimeters.
- Overall Diameter: The overall diameter is 35 inches. To convert inches into millimeters, we multiply the length value by 25.4, which results in an overall diameter of 889 mm.
- Tire Width: The width of the tire is 12.5 inches, which equals 317.5 mm in the metric system.
- Wheel Diameter: The wheel diameter is 24 inches, which translates to 609.6 mm when converted.
- Sidewall Height: Sidewall height is the vertical height of the tire’s sidewall. It can be found by subtracting the wheel diameter from the overall diameter and dividing by 2, which gives us (35-24)/2 = 5.5 inches or 139.7 mm.
- Aspect Ratio: The aspect ratio is the ratio of the height of the tire’s cross-section to its width. It’s calculated as (Sidewall Height / Tire Width) * 100%, yielding an aspect ratio of approximately 44%.
Finding a Close Metric Equivalent
While there’s no exact equivalent, a tire of dimensions 315/45R24 is a close metric match to the 35×12.5r24. This size is similar in overall diameter and width, ensuring comparable vehicle performance and aesthetics.
The 35×12.5r24 tire size is commonly used in off-road vehicles and large trucks due to its large overall diameter and width, which provide excellent traction and stability.
For example, enthusiasts of outdoor activities like off-road driving often prefer this tire size for its durability and reliability in challenging terrains.
What Is Equivalent To A 35×12.5r24?
The tire size 35×12.5r24 can be approximately converted to 318/44r24 in the metric system, but it is important to note that this particular size is not commonly found in the market.
A more commonly encountered metric size, and the closest comparable option, is 315/45r24. This size closely matches the specifications of a 35×12.5r24 tire and is more readily available for purchase.
How Tall Are 35×12.5r24 Tires?
The number “35” in 35×12.5R24 stands for the overall diameter of the tire in inches. So, a 35×12.5R24 tire is approximately 35 inches tall.
How Wide is a 35×12.5r24 Tire?
The number “12.5” in 35×12.5R24 indicates the width of the tire. This means a 35×12.5R24 tire is approximately 12.5 inches wide.
What Size Rim Fits a 35×12.5r24 Tire?
The “24” in 35×12.5R24 indicates the size of the wheel diameter the tire is intended to fit in inches. So, a 35×12.5R24 tire is designed to fit on a 24-inch rim.
Always ensure the width of your rims can also accommodate the tire width. The recommended rim width is typically between 8.5 inches and 11 inches, but this can depend on the specific tire model. Always refer to the manufacturer’s guidelines to be sure.
Understanding the tire size labeling system is essential for making informed decisions about tire purchases and maintenance. Deciphering the measurements hidden within the seemingly complex tire code, such as 35×12.5r24, helps you select the best tires for your needs.
And converting these measurements to their metric equivalents further broadens your options, allowing for greater flexibility and precision. Whether you’re an off-roading aficionado or a casual car owner, knowing tire sizes is a practical tool in your automotive arsenal.
Meet Caitlin McCormack, a Tire Size Expert and Blogger Passionate About Everything Related to Tires. With Years of Experience in the Tire Industry, Caitlin Has Become an Expert in Tire Sizes and Their Impact on Vehicle Performance.