Tire Size 30x10r15 To Metric
Have you ever looked at the sidewall of a tire and wondered what the sequence of numbers and letters means? What is the story behind a size like 30x10r15? More importantly, how does it translate into the metric system? Let’s decode this mystery and understand the intriguing world of tire sizes!
A tire size like 30x10R15 might appear like a cryptic code at first glance. But don’t worry, and it’s quite simple when you break it down:
- 30 indicates the tire’s overall diameter in inches.
- 10 is the tire’s width, also in inches.
- The letter R stands for Radial, indicating the construction type of the tire.
- Lastly, 15 represents the wheel diameter, which is the wheel size that the tire fits onto, again measured in inches.
So, a 30x10R15 tire is a radial tire that fits a 15-inch wheel with an overall diameter of 30 inches and a width of 10 inches.
30x10R15 in inches
|Tire Section Width||10.0″|
|Rim Width Range||15″|
To convert the 30x10R15 tire size to metric, you’ll need to understand that the metric tire sizing system is based on millimeters and percentages.
- Diameter: To convert the 30 inches diameter to millimeters, you multiply by 25.4 (since 1 inch is equal to 25.4 mm). So, 30 inches is approximately 762 mm.
- Width: The same process applies to convert the 10 inches width, which results in approximately 254 mm.
- Sidewall Height: This isn’t directly given in the 30x10R15 size but can be calculated by subtracting the rim diameter from the overall diameter and dividing by 2 (since there are two sidewalls – top and bottom). So, (30-15)/2 = 7.5 inches. Converting this to millimeters, we have about 191 mm.
- Aspect Ratio: The aspect ratio in the metric system is the ratio of the height of the tire’s cross-section to its width, expressed as a percentage. In our case, it would be (7.5/10)*100 = 75%.
- Rim Diameter: To convert the 15 inches rim diameter to millimeters, you get approximately 381 mm.
So, the 30x10R15 tire size converts to a metric measurement of approximately 762/254R381 with an aspect ratio of 75%.
Finding a Close Metric Equivalent
Due to differences in standards and rounding, an exact metric equivalent for a 30x10R15 tire size might not exist. However, a close metric equivalent could be found in the 255/75R15 size. This size has a width of 255 mm (close to 254 mm), an aspect ratio of 75 (indicating that the height is 75% of the tire’s width), and a rim diameter of 15 inches. While not a perfect match, it is a widely available tire size that would function similarly in most applications.
Replacement Tire Size
|Tire Size||Overall Diameter||Difference|
|225/80R15||29.2″ (741 mm)||-2.9%|
|215/85R15||29.4″ (747 mm)||-2.1%|
|245/75R15||29.5″ (749 mm)||-1.8%|
|205/90R15||29.6″ (751 mm)||-1.6%|
|265/70R15||29.6″ (753 mm)||-1.3%|
|235/80R15||29.8″ (757 mm)||-0.8%|
|315/60R15||29.9″ (759 mm)||-0.5%|
|345/55R15||30″ (761 mm)||-0.3%|
|295/65R15||30.1″ (765 mm)||0.3%|
|275/70R15||30.2″ (767 mm)||0.5%|
|325/60R15||30.4″ (771 mm)||1%|
|265/75R15||30.7″ (779 mm)||2.1%|
|285/70R15||30.7″ (781 mm)||2.4%|
The 30x10R15 tire size is quite popular in off-road vehicles like Jeeps and ATVs due to its wide footprint and large diameter, which provide excellent traction and ground clearance.
For instance, it’s commonly used in the Jeep Wrangler, a vehicle known for its off-roading prowess. So, if you’re an off-road enthusiast, understanding this tire size and its metric equivalent can help you make better decisions regarding tire purchases and replacements.
What Is Equivalent To A 30x10R15?
Tire Size 30x10r15 equals the tire size 254/75/r15 in the metric system. However, you can not find this tire size in the real world. The close metric equivalent to a 30x10R15 tire would be a 255/75R15 tire.
How Tall Are 30x10r15 Tire’s?
A 30x10R15 tire has a diameter (or height, when standing upright) of 30 inches. This is approximately 762 millimeters when converted to the metric system.
How Wide Is A 30x10r15 Tire?
A 30x10R15 tire has a width of 10 inches. In the metric system, this equates to approximately 254 millimeters.
What Size Rim Fits A 30x10r15?
The diameter of the rim is straightforward: a 30x10R15 tire is designed to fit on a 15-inch diameter rim. In the case of a 30x10R15 tire, a rim width range of 7-9 inches is generally considered suitable.
Understanding and converting tire sizes like 30x10R15 from inches to metric can seem complex, but it’s quite straightforward once you break down the dimensions and apply simple math.
This knowledge is not just a neat trick but also practical. Whether you’re replacing tires on your vehicle or in the market for a new one, knowing your tire sizes can help you make more informed decisions.
Meet Caitlin McCormack, a Tire Size Expert and Blogger Passionate About Everything Related to Tires. With Years of Experience in the Tire Industry, Caitlin Has Become an Expert in Tire Sizes and Their Impact on Vehicle Performance.