Tire Size 35×12.50r16 in Metric
Have you ever checked your tire and tried to comprehend the mystery of those strange numbers and letters printed on it? A typical example would be 35×12.50r16 – what does it mean, and how can it be translated into a more easily understandable format? In short, the tire size 35×12.50R16 can be converted to the metric system as 315/75r16.
Let’s decode this enigma. In the tire size 35×12.50r16, each part denotes specific information about the tire.
- 35: The first number is the tire’s overall diameter in inches, in this case, 35 inches. It’s the distance from one edge of the tire to the other, measuring through the center.
- 12.50: The second number, 12.50, is the tire’s width in inches. It’s the linear distance across the tire’s cross-section.
- r: This is a shorthand indication for radial construction, a widely used tire design where the tire layers run radially across the tire.
- 16: The final number, 16, represents the wheel diameter in inches, the size of the wheel that the tire fits onto.
35×12.50r16 in inches
|Tire Section Width||12.5″|
|Rim Width Range||16″|
In many parts of the world, metric measurements are more common. How can we convert the 35×12.50r16 tire size into millimeters?
- Overall Diameter: 35 inches, when converted to millimeters, is approximately 889 millimeters. (1 inch = 25.4 millimeters)
- Tire Width: The width of 12.50 inches, in millimeters, becomes approximately 318 millimeters.
- Wheel Diameter: 16 inches translates to around 406 millimeters.
The conversion to Sidewall Height and Aspect Ratio involves a little more calculation.
- Sidewall Height: It is determined using the formula (Overall Diameter – Wheel Diameter) / 2. For our tire, it would be (35 – 16) / 2 = 9.5 inches, approximately 241 millimeters.
- Aspect Ratio: The aspect ratio is the height of the tire’s cross-section as a percentage of its width. So, the Aspect Ratio = (Sidewall Height / Tire Width) * 100%. For this tire, it equals (9.5 / 12.50) * 100% = 76%.
Finding a Close Metric Equivalent
There’s no exact metric equivalent for a 35×12.50r16 tire, but a 315/75r16 is close. This size has a width of 315mm, an aspect ratio of 75%, and a wheel diameter of 16 inches. It’s crucial to understand that even a minor difference in tire size can significantly impact vehicle performance.
The 35×12.50r16 tire size is popular for off-road vehicles like Jeeps and pickup trucks due to its wide width and large diameter. It provides better grip and stability on rough terrains. For instance, this tire size is often seen in off-road events like the Baja 1000 or Dakar Rally. Moreover, it’s a favorite among adventurers who enjoy outdoor explorations.
What Is Equivalent To A 35×12.50r16?
The tire size 35×12.50R16 has approximate metric equivalents of 318/76R16. However, it is important to note that this specific tire size is not commonly found in the market.
A more widely encountered metric size that closely matches the specifications of a 35×12.50R16 tire is 315/75R16. This alternative size is readily available for purchase and provides a comparable option.
How Tall Are 35×12.50r16 Tires?
The tire size 35×12.50R16 refers to the overall dimensions of the tire. The “35” indicates the tire’s height but is typically measured in inches. Therefore, a 35×12.50R16 tire would have a height of approximately 35 inches.
How Wide Is A 35×12.50r16 Tire?
The second part of the tire size, “12.50,” represents the tire’s width. In this case, the width is measured in inches. Therefore, a 35×12.50R16 tire would have a width of approximately 12.50 inches.
What Size Rim Fits 35×12.50r16?
The last part of the tire size, “16,” corresponds to the diameter of the rim in inches. Therefore, a 35×12.50R16 tire requires a rim with a diameter of 16 inches.
Deciphering tire sizes like 35×12.50r16 doesn’t need to be daunting. This specific tire size, with an overall diameter of 35 inches, width of 12.50 inches, and wheel diameter of 16 inches, serves as an excellent option for off-road adventures.
Understanding how to convert this to a metric size (approximately 315/75r16) can help you make informed decisions in a global market. Whether you’re an off-road enthusiast or just seeking a deeper understanding of your vehicle’s specifications, grasping the story behind these numbers will open a new world of automotive knowledge.