Tire Size 33×12.5r17 in Metric
If you have encountered a tire size like 33×12.5r17, what does it mean, and how does it translate to the metric system? This article will break down each dimension of this tire size, convert it to metric units, and explore its practical applications.
- 33: The first number represents the overall diameter of the tire in inches. In this case, the tire has an overall diameter of 33 inches.
- 12.5: The second number indicates the tire width, also in inches. This tire is 12.5 inches wide.
- R: The letter ‘R’ stands for radial construction, which is a common design for modern tires.
- 17: The final number is the wheel diameter, measured in inches. This tire is designed to fit a 17-inch wheel.
33×12.5r17 in inches
|Tire Section Width||12.5″|
|Rim Width Range||17″ x 8.5-11″|
- To convert the 33-inch overall diameter to millimeters, multiply by 25.4 (1 inch = 25.4 mm). 33 x 25.4 = 838.2 mm.
- Converting the 12.5-inch tire width to millimeters follows the same process. 12.5 x 25.4 = 317.5 mm.
- Likewise, the 17-inch wheel diameter is converted by multiplying by 25.4. 17 x 25.4 = 431.8 mm.
- This can be calculated by subtracting the wheel diameter from the overall diameter and dividing by 2. (33 – 17) / 2 = 8 inches. Then, convert inches to millimeters. 8 x 25.4 = 203.2 mm.
- The aspect ratio is the ratio of the sidewall height to the tire width, expressed as a percentage. (203.2 / 317.5) x 100 = 64%.
33×12.5r17 in Metric
The tire size given as 33×12.5r17 can be approximated in the metric system as 318/64r17, although it’s important to mention that this particular dimension is seldom found in stores.
For a metric counterpart of the 33×12.5r17 tire size, look for a tire that has a comparable overall diameter, width, and aspect ratio, like a 315/65r17. While these dimensions aren’t perfect equivalents, they are sufficiently similar to be considered suitable substitutes.
The 33×12.5r17 tire size is often found on off-road vehicles, such as Jeeps, pickup trucks, and SUVs. The large diameter and width provide increased ground clearance and traction, making it ideal for navigating rough terrain.
A real-world example is the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, which can be equipped with 33×12.5r17 tires for enhanced off-road capabilities.
How Tall Are 33×12.5r17 Tire Size?
The height of a 33×12.5r17 tire is approximately 33 inches. In millimeters, this translates to about 838.2 mm. Please note that these measurements are approximate and can vary slightly depending on the specific tire brand and model.
How Wide Is A 33×12.5r17 Tire?
The width of a 33×12.5r17 tire is approximately 12.5 inches. In millimeters, this converts to about 317.5 mm. Like with the height, these measurements can vary slightly depending on the specific tire brand and model.
What Size Rim Fits 33×12.5r17?
A 33×12.5r17 tire would typically fit a 17-inch rim. In millimeters, this is approximately 431.8 mm. The rim’s width can vary and should be chosen according to the tire manufacturer’s specifications, but a common width range for this size tire is 8.5-11 inches (approximately 215.9-279.4 mm).
Understanding tire sizes like 33×12.5r17 and converting them to metric units is a useful skill for vehicle owners. By dissecting each part of the tire size and following the conversion process, we can better understand the tire’s dimensions and find suitable metric alternatives.
In the case of 33×12.5r17 tires, they offer a combination of off-road performance and versatility, making them a popular choice for off-road enthusiasts. By gaining insight into tire sizes and their practical applications, you can make more informed decisions when selecting the right tires for your vehicle.
Meet Caitlin McCormack, a Tire Size Expert and Blogger Passionate About Everything Related to Tires. With Years of Experience in the Tire Industry, Caitlin Has Become an Expert in Tire Sizes and Their Impact on Vehicle Performance.