Tire Size 215/50r17 in inches
This article analyzes the 215/50r17 tire size in-depth, focusing on its dimensions in inches, relevant specifications, and overall performance. We will also provide our observations and the metric and inch measurements to understand this tire size better.
215/50r17 in inches
This table will provide you with a comprehensive understanding of the breakdown of tire features and metrics.
|Overall Diameter (Tire Height)||648 mm||25.5″|
|Tread Width||215 mm||8.5″|
|Rim Diameter||431.8 mm||17″|
|Sidewall Height||108 mm||4.3″|
|Revolutions||491 per km||791 per mile|
Tire Size Breakdown
Tire Size 215/50r17 is equivalent to 25.5×8.5R17 in inches. The three key components of this tire size are the tread width, aspect ratio, and wheel diameter.
The first number (215) indicates the tread width in millimeters, the second number (50) represents the aspect ratio, and the letter “R” signifies radial construction. In contrast, the last number (17) denotes the wheel diameter in inches.
Replacement Tire Size
The overall diameter of replacement tires should not deviate more than 3% from the original 215/50r17 tire size.
|Tire Size||Overall Diameter||Difference|
|285/35R17||24.9″ (632 mm)||-2.5%|
|125/80R17||24.9″ (632 mm)||-2.5%|
|295/35R17||25.1″ (638 mm)||-1.5%|
|205/50R17||25.1″ (638 mm)||-1.5%|
|235/45R17||25.4″ (644 mm)||-0.6%|
|195/55R17||25.4″ (646 mm)||-0.3%|
|245/45R17||25.7″ (652 mm)||0.6%|
|275/40R17||25.7″ (652 mm)||0.6%|
|205/55R17||25.9″ (658 mm)||1.5%|
|225/50R17||25.9″ (658 mm)||1.5%|
|285/40R17||26″ (660 mm)||1.9%|
|165/70R17||26.1″ (664 mm)||2.5%|
|145/80R17||26.1″ (664 mm)||2.5%|
|335/35R17||26.2″ (666 mm)||2.8%|
Dimensions in Inches
- Overall Diameter (Tire Height): The 215/50r17 tire has an overall diameter of 648 mm, equivalent to 25.5 inches. This measurement is crucial because it affects ground clearance, vehicle handling, and overall aesthetics.
- Tread Width: With a tread width of 215 mm, or 8.5 inches, this tire size balances traction and fuel efficiency. Wider tread widths provide better grip, while narrower widths reduce rolling resistance, improving fuel efficiency.
- Rim Diameter: The 215/50r17 tire is designed for a 17-inch wheel, which measures 431.8 mm in diameter. The wheel diameter affects the tire’s overall diameter and sidewall height, and it is essential to ensure compatibility with your vehicle’s suspension and braking system.
- Sidewall Height: The aspect ratio (50) determines the sidewall height, 108 mm or 4.3 inches. The sidewall height impacts ride quality and handling, with shorter sidewalls providing better steering response and longer sidewalls offering a smoother ride.
- Circumference: The 215/50r17 tire has a circumference of 2034.7 mm or 80.1 inches. This measurement is vital in determining the revolutions per mile and the speedometer’s accuracy.
- Revolutions: This tire size completes 491 revolutions per kilometer or 791 revolutions per mile. This data calculates the tire’s speed rating and can also impact fuel efficiency and tire wear.
The 215/50r17 tire features radial construction, as indicated by the “R” in the tire size. Radial tires are the most common type of tire construction due to their many advantages over other constructions, such as bias-ply tires.
Radial tires have cords that run perpendicular to the tread, allowing the tire to flex more, providing better traction, fuel efficiency, and a smoother ride. Additionally, radial tires have longer tread life and better heat buildup resistance than other constructions.
Can I Use 215/50r17 Instead Of 215/55r17?
Yes, you can use 215/50r17 tires instead of 215/55r17 tires. Both tire sizes typically fit the same rim width, commonly between 6.0 and 7.5 inches for this range of tire sizes.
Using the 215/50r17 tire instead of the 215/55r17 tire will lead to a slightly smaller overall diameter. This may affect your speedometer accuracy and may result in a slightly stiffer ride due to the shorter sidewalls. Additionally, there may be a minor change in the vehicle’s handling characteristics.
The 215/50r17 tire size is a versatile choice for various vehicle types, including sedans, hatchbacks, and compact SUVs. Its dimensions in inches, 25.5×8.5R17, offer a balanced mix of performance, fuel efficiency, and ride comfort. The 8.5-inch tread width provides sufficient traction without compromising fuel economy, while the 4.3-inch sidewall height allows for responsive handling and a comfortable ride.
The overall diameter of 25.5 inches contributes to higher ground clearance, improving the vehicle’s performance on different terrains. The radial construction also enhances the tire’s durability, traction, and heat dissipation, making it suitable for city driving and long highway trips.